It’s been a year since the horrible terrorist attacks in Paris that killed hundreds. And for the metal community, it was a rude shock when news emerged that one of the terrorist targets was Bataclan, a Parisian hotel where the Eagles of Death Metal were performing. On November 13, 2015, 90 people were killed at the concert venue, though the members of the band escaped with their lives, but with ample mental scars that even a year hasn’t been able to make them forget nor forgive.
And now there seems to be controversy at the one-year anniversary of the Bataclan attack. There were reports that emerged saying that Jesse Hughes, lead singer of the band, was refused entry into the location for a memorial service, due to some tasteless comments he made last year. To remind you, he said something to the effect of Bataclan management and staff being involved with the ISIS terrorists that stormed the rock concert and opened fire, killing nearly 100 people that night. Even though Jesse later apologized for the comment, he later on made a similar statement and hasn’t backed down from it since then.
At this year’s first memorial for the victims, the event’s manager, Jules Frutos said that Jesse Hughes and the Eagles of Death Metal were not welcome at the site. “They came. I threw them out. There are some things you can’t forgive.”
But the band’s manager, Marc Pollock has a totally different story: “This coward Jules Frutos feels the need to soil his own club’s reopening by spreading false tales and tainting a wonderful opportunity that could have been used to spread love and peace.” He continued: “This day is not about Jesse of Eagles of Death Metal. In fact, Jesse is in Paris to share in remembering the tragic events with his friends, family and fans. This is about recalling the tragic loss of life that happened right in front of his eyes during the show.”
Instead of Eagles of Death Metal, singer Sting performed for the memorial, urging those present “We’ve got two important things to do tonight – to remember and honor those who lost their lives, and to celebrate the life and music of this historic venue.” Neither Hughes nor any members of Eagles of Death Metal have responded or made a public statement yet.